This monumental Abbey exudes historial charm and intrigue.
Located in Sassoferrato on a gentle hill surrounded by greenery and rocks, it is close to the ruins of the ancient Umbrian-Roman city of Sentinum where today one can still admire these great vestiges. T
he prestigious Abbey Complex consists of a Monastery, a Canonical House and the Church of Santa Croce. The church is not for sale as it is still functioning for ceremonies and such, all overseen by the Municipality which takes care of all aspects.
Recently partially restored to its former glory, the property covers an area of approximately 3,000 square meters magnificently incorporated into a park of 36,800 square meters.
Much of the structure is ready to be finished while the consolidation has already been completed. Engineering works incorporated static anti-seismic safety measures. The external walls area refurbished while the interiors are partially accessible as some parts are not yet complete. The basement has been restructured and as of yet is unfinished. Internal cables have been laid for elevators and freight elevators.
The Canonical House is an integral part of the property Built by the Counts of Acts Lords of Sassoferrato in the latter part of the 12th century for the Camaldolese monks, it is one of the most important testimonies of Romanesque architecture in the region.
Built inside the perimeter walls of an existing church which was probably built for the epoch of the Templars, one can still see the ancient symbols, in particular: the Templars Cross on the left of the church toward the altar, the carved on symbols on the columns and the grey capitals of eagles and mermaids.
Inside the Abbey is an important relief which is a work by Pietro Paolo Agabiti along with other frescoes from the 1400’s. In more recent history, the church was the destination of Napoleon Bonaparte.